Eliaszówka Valley: Devil’s Bridge and a walk along the monastery wall ruins


max 457 m min 330 m
straighten 2.6km
timer 1h 4min
north_east 169m
south_east 196m
Medium - For young hikers, steep sections possible
terrain  The slope of the terrain
beach_access  Route in the shade

Hike in the Eliaszówka Valley – from Elijah’s Spring to Elisha’s Spring

The valleys of the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland (the Polish Jura) are usually known for dramatic limestone rocks. The Eliaszówka Valley shows a different side – here nature meets history. The path runs along stone walls that once enclosed hermitages, passing the ruins of a monastery gatehouse and gate. This is one of the most atmospheric valleys near Kraków in southern Poland. Join us for a walk along the old Carmelite route – from Elijah’s Spring to Elisha’s Spring (or the other way around)!

  • From the Krzeszowice train station, buses on the A10 line operated by Małopolskie Railways go to the monastery in Czerna and the Eliaszówka Valley. Get off at the stops Czerna Klasztor or Dolina Eliaszówki.
  • ATTENTION! The trail is close to the Czatkowice quarry and within its blasting zone. Blasting usually takes place at 10:00–10:30 and 14:00–14:40, with warning sirens beforehand – if you hear them, leave the area.

Prophet Elijah’s Spring

We started at the distinctive Elijah’s Spring, whose stone curb is shaped like a heart. Above the spring stands a small chapel with an image of the Prophet Elijah, whom the Carmelites regard as the founder of the first monastic communities on Mount Carmel (in today’s Israel/Palestine). This place refers to the area by the Kerit brook, where the biblical prophet lived in a cave, drank from a spring, and was fed by ravens.

Elijah’s Spring in Czerna
Elijah’s Spring in Czerna

Walk up the yellow trail along the ravine

From the spring, follow the yellow trail and the distinctive signs of the educational path "Dróżki Karmelitańskie" (Carmelite Paths) that run along a scenic ravine. The path gradually climbs to a fork. From there, follow the white-and-red markings through the nature reserve.

null

A wall that seems endless...

Next, walk along the stone wall of the Great Enclosure from 1672, which surrounded the former hermitages. The wall was about 4,180 meters long and created an isolated space, protecting the strict monastic rule for over 150 years!

null
Ruins of the Great Enclosure wall
Ruins of the Great Enclosure wall
Walking along the wall ruins
Walking along the wall ruins

Viewpoints over the quarry

Some maps show two viewpoints over the Czatkowice quarry close to the path. If you go there, remember they are on a steep edge with no railings. It is dangerous – be very careful!

Also read the information boards about blasting times!

View of the Czatkowice quarry – in the distance the ruins of Tenczyn Castle in Rudno and the cross above the quarry
View of the Czatkowice quarry – in the distance the ruins of Tenczyn Castle in Rudno and the cross above the quarry
View of the Czatkowice quarry
View of the Czatkowice quarry

Siedlec Gate

This historic gate once connected the Discalced Carmelite monastery with their farm in the village of Siedlec. For more than three centuries it was the main entrance to the monastery. The gate also served as a small chapel, where Mass was held for servants and local people.

Siedlec Gate in the Eliaszówka Valley
Siedlec Gate in the Eliaszówka Valley
Siedlec Gate in the Eliaszówka Valley
Siedlec Gate in the Eliaszówka Valley

Stone Devil’s Bridge

One of the most distinctive points on the route is the stone Devil’s Bridge. Impressive and very picturesque, it spans the Eliaszówka stream and looks as if it came straight from an old legend.

Shaped like a Roman aqueduct, Devil’s Bridge is a unique structure on a European scale. It was 120 meters long and 18 meters high, with statues of saints at both ends. The bridge was meant to connect the monastery in Czerna with the Carmelite estates in nearby Siedlec.

According to legend, a huge treasure of gold, silver, and diamonds is buried under the bridge – guarded by the devil himself!

Devil’s Bridge in the Eliaszówka Valley
Devil’s Bridge in the Eliaszówka Valley
Devil’s Bridge in the Eliaszówka Valley
Devil’s Bridge in the Eliaszówka Valley
1900–1910, Road to the monastery in Czerna. Devil’s Bridge still with its span.
1900–1910, Road to the monastery in Czerna. Devil’s Bridge still with its span.
1787, Devil’s Bridge and one of the hermitages. Watercolor by Zygmunt Vogel.
1787, Devil’s Bridge and one of the hermitages. Watercolor by Zygmunt Vogel.
Devil’s Bridge – one of the arches
Devil’s Bridge – one of the arches

Ruins of the monastery gatehouse

By the gatehouse there were also guest rooms, a stable, and a laundry.

Ruins of the monastery gatehouse in Czerna
Ruins of the monastery gatehouse in Czerna

Elisha’s Spring and the monastery in Czerna

We end our walk at Elisha’s Spring. To complete your trip, visit the Discalced Carmelite Monastery in Czerna and its museum.

Discalced Carmelite Monastery in Czerna and the Carmelite Museum

The monastery was founded in the 17th century by the Discalced Carmelites. It was famous for strict discipline and a hermit way of life — the monks followed rules of silence, prayer, and spiritual work. For centuries it was closed to outsiders. ...

null
null

Video about the Eliaszówka Valley


More in the Region Jura (Jura)